Whether it is fried, grilled, baked, or sautéed, chicken is a staple of the American diet. We serve it on a bun like a burger. We dice it and mix it with mayo to make a salad. We marinade it and dress it up with fancy greens like arugula. It is one of the most versatile proteins we have in our kitchens, allowing us to make chicken nuggets and coq au vin and everything in between.
This month let’s focus in on chicken. Here are 15 things you can do with chicken this month mix up your regular menu and fill your plate.
- Artichoke Chicken Salad– Try this twist on traditional chicken salad made with chicken breast meat, curry powder, rice, and artichokes.
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup – This is a great recipe for a flavorful version of this standard soup that includes chicken, carrots, onions, corn, mushrooms, rice, and some jalapenos to give it that Southwestern flair.
- Chicken Breasts with Cheese and Chilies – Who doesn’t love a dish made with bacon and cheese? This dish is full of some of the best ingredients Arizona has to offer including chicken, cheese, chilies, bacon, and avocado.
- Chicken Enchilada Dip – Spice up your next get-together with this delicious dip made with chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and jalapenos.
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps – Give your family a taste of Asia with these easy to make and easy to eat lunch or dinner options made with chicken, lettuce, soy sauce, bell peppers, and ginger.
- Chicken Picatta – Perfect for a weeknight dinner, this dish uses chicken, shallots, capers, butter, and spinach to create the traditional flavors and a dash of hot sauce to spice it up.
- Chicken Spaghetti – No tomatoes required for this interesting variation on a spaghetti dinner featuring chicken, mushroom soup, spaghetti noodles, onions, bell peppers, and cheese.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup– A soup made for the southwest, this recipe uses chicken, tomato sauce, onions, corn, and garlic to create a succulent soup any Arizonian will love.
- Chicken with Shallot Cream Sauce – Dress-up your dinner table with this delicious dish made with chicken, shallots, heavy cream, and of course, hot sauce.
- Chili Chicken – Another great celebration of Southwestern flavors created with chicken, cream of chicken soup, chilies, sour cream, onions, and cheese.
- Chutney Melon Chicken Salad – Another variation on traditional chicken salad that makes use of some of the best local ingredients Arizona has to offer including chicken, chutney, yogurt, honeydew melon, coconut, peanuts, raisins, and lettuce.
- Desert Chicken Salad – This chicken salad variation is as delicious at the dinner table as it is in the desert and is made with chicken, mayo, pineapple, raisins, and sliced fruit.
- Greek Chicken – Filled with the full-body flavors of Greek cuisine, this dish makes a great dinner using chicken, feta cheese, tomatoes, onions, spinach, and garlic.
- Grilled Chicken Breast – Don’t let the name fool you; this recipe combines chicken, prickly pear syrup, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic, grapefruit, and hot sauce to create a unique and flavorful meal.
- Herb Roasted Chicken – Treat your family to the succulent goodness of this traditional chicken dish filled with locally grown chicken, garlic, onions, and fresh picked herbs.
- Potato Industry Ponders Possible Bumper Crop (fillyourplate.org)
- Food Prices Increase Slightly in the Second Quarter of 2012 (fillyourplate.org)
- ‘Tis The Season To Grill Safely (fillyourplate.org)