difficult to decide which is right for you. Remember the ad ‘there’s an app for that?’ There really is an app for just about everything including food. Fill Your Plate and Arizona Farm Bureau can help locate the healthy, local food from your Arizona Farmers. Read further for 54 + popular apps for the foodie on the go.
Before you get started, here are some tips to help you decide which food app is best for you:
Know Thyself: Are you looking for a list of nearby eateries? Calorie Counters? Where to find local farmers markets? Fitness & Food tracking? Identifying your niche is important to narrow the options.
All Apps are Not Equal: While many apps are available for Android and iPhone, not all are available on both. And note, some apps maybe be free, while others have a cost involved.
Apps Available only to iPhone users:
- AgWired is the app for all agriculture and agribusiness news.
- Man vs. Food, a guide to the popular television show locales
- AppZap Fast Food Calorie Hunter and Restaurant Map
- Food IQ, a searchable database of more than 7200 foods, calorie, blood glucose, meals, exercise, medication and weight trackers.
- HarvestMark Food Traceability – tells you where your food was grown.
- Ask the Butcher– everything you wanted to know about meat, and then some!
- Pair It! Food and Wine Guide- it’s touted as the “must have” app for wine lovers.
- Foodspotting– answers the question, “What’s good around here?”
- PickinChicken-Helps you pick the perfect chicken for your chicken growing needs.
- The Perfect Egg Timer- how to cook the perfect egg.
- Bread and Milk– a grocery list app.
Apps Available to iPhone & Android Users
- Whole Foods has two apps available for the iPhone. Information available includes recipes, specials for the week, games, and “simple, practical advice on cooking, nutrition, green living, food storage and more.”
- Trader Joe’s has a location finder app.
- Gluten Free Recipes offers exactly that – gluten free recipes.
- Allergic to a variety of foods? Try these two Allergen & Gluten Free apps.
- Farmers Market Finder for iPhone offers a searchable database of over 2,500 farmers markets, CSAs and more.
- Sprouts Farmer’s Market and other local markets can be supported, recommended and shared through theScene app.
- Find local produce anywhere with Locavore!
- Green Markets Buddy, find local farmers markets.
- Yelp locates restaurants and provides reviews. Yelp includes location and reviews of other businesses.
- Urbanspoon is one of the best apps especially for the indecisive. A shake of the iPhone and the Urbanspoon slot machine locates restaurants in your area, sorted by type of food. The list also includes ratings and reviews. Best part? It’s FREE!
- OpenTable gives users the ability to make reservations at more than 10,000 restaurants in the USA, Canada and United Kingdom.
- Local Eats provides non-chain options in towns and options across the USA. Available for iPhone and Android.
- Have2Eat is also a restaurant locator providing ratings. What sets this apart from the other apps listed is that users have the ability to add new places to eat to the app.
- Grub Hub has gone mobile offering consumers the ability to order out from their mobile device.
- Fast Food Finder is for the on the go consumer.
Recipes & Meal Planning
- Epicurious is the handheld version of the website providing recipes and meal planning tips.
- Cupcake app for Android is designed with the cupcake lover in mind offering recipes for more than 50 cupcakes.
- Big Oven offers more than 170,000 recipes!
- Allrecipes offers fast and easy recipes for favorite meals.
- Betty Crocker even has an app, the mobile version of the Betty Crocker Cookbook.
- 20 Minute Meals is great for busy families.
- Order fresh food for delivery to your home with FreshDirect. “FreshDirect app will be able to create a custom order from an assortment of more than twenty thousand fresh food products.”
Calorie & Fitness Trackers
- MyFitnessPal offers users calorie counters and a database of more than 450,000 foods.
- SparkPeople is a great website and now an app for health minded individuals looking to track food intake and exercise.
- LiveStrong is another great calorie tracker app that can also calculate healthy calorie intake for your height and weight.
- Food for Android is a great tool for foodies who want to track their tasty and not so tasty food.
- Count calories and track exercise with Lose It!
- Tap Farm is available for iPhone and Android users and is the handheld answer to the popular Farmville.
- Farm Frenzy is another popular app for aspiring ifarmers.
- Farm Story available on both iPhone and Android.
- Farm Tower: available on Android
- Angry Birds – while not related specifically to food or farming, this game has taken the world by storm.
- Food Party is called the solitaire of food games.
- Food Match is a memory game.
- Food Games is a game of…well…food
- Make cakes, cookies and more with Frosting.
- Find out how fast you can serve ice cream with Creamy Ice.
Local & Other
- Local First Arizona offers local, member vendors the opportunity to speak to their local mobile community.
- Looking for local food and wine? Grab the app from Food & Wine Magazine.
- Give to charities like Feeding America with CauseWorld.
- GroceryIQ offers a barcode scanner, grocery list tracker, coupons and more!
- Grocery King offers too many options for shoppers to fit here!
- Farmers Partner: “Friend in the field” to help you make informed decisions for your entire operation.
- Evernote: Not geared specifically towards farming but this little app does everything. Take notes, record messages, keep memos, take pictures, record lists, and more.