By Stephen Gruner a Recent ASU Nutrition Student
Seven Layer Bars are a favorite dessert in my family. Anytime they are baked, the entire house smells like sugar heaven. There are quite a few ingredients and the recipe can take a lot of time to make. That is why they are so delicious, you can really taste the love put into the dessert!
Ingredients: 2 ½ packages of graham crackers, 1 ½ stick of melted butter, 5 ½ oz. butterscotch chips, 1 ½ cups of chocolate chips, 1 cup of coconut, ½ cups of crushed pecans, 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter and mix together butter and crushed graham crackers.
- Press mixture into a 9 x 13 inch lightly greased pan.
- Layer chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, and pecans together.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over ingredients.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes and allow them to cool off
Another dessert that my family loves to make it pear cobbler. A great topping on pear cobbler is whipped cream and is highly recommended!
Ingredients: 5 sliced fresh pears, 3 cups sugar, 1 stick butter, 1 ½ cups flour, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ½ teaspoons of salt, 1 ½ cups milk, 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Mix pears with 1 ½ cup of sugar and let stand.
- Put butter in 9 x 13 pan and place in the oven until melted.
- Combine all dry ingredients including the remaining sugar. Mix well.
- Beat eggs and add to milk. Slowly combine with dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter over melted margarine and do not stir.
- Spoon pears on top of the batter and do not stir.
- Bake for 1 hour and serve hot or cold.
For more fun recipes check out the website.