Celebrity Q & A
Pauline Martinez is the chef owner of PERK eatery, a family owned operation with its roots in the Midwest. PERK eatery has been featured on Food Network’s Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives in an episode that first aired on May 6, 2013. Three generations of restaurateurs have carried family recipes and a love for “stick to the ribs” food to the Wild West. PERK Gourmet is a line of artisan specialty food products created by Chef Pauline Martinez from the time honored recipes found at PERK eatery. PERK eatery is located at 6501 E Greenway Parkway, Suite 159 in the Safeway Plaza on the east side of the center. For more information visit www.perkeatery.com or call 480-998-6026.
- What created your passion for cooking?
- Food is a huge part of my family culture. My grandma was always cooking, baking bread, making cheese etc. My grandfather always grew his own vegetables and made his own wine every year. I spent most of my childhood summers in Europe and that molded my food philosophy.
- My favorite place is FnB for any occasion. Charlene (one of Fill Your Plate's Celebrity Chefs) is the only person who can cook for me the way I cook for others.
- What's your favorite dessert?
- Ice cream ... Because it's perfect ... enough said.
- What's your favorite thing to cook?
- Vegetables... because they are grossly underrated and misunderstood. Vegetable are like the jewelry to a nice outfit. The must be bold and well edited.
- What ingredients can you not do without when you're cooking?
- Olive oil, onions and garlic.
- What's the most basic advice you give when you're talking to someone about cooking?
- Be passionate about it, love and respect the ingredients. You only have one body and there's no do overs, so do it right and enjoy the experience.
- Share your thoughts about Arizona agriculture.
- Arizona's climate is great for agriculture but it bothers me that so many small farms sold out during the big building boom. I wish there was more available to the average person who doesn't have time to go to Farmer's Markets.
- What do you consider unique to Arizona when it comes to food, restaurants and/or anything related?
- There are some really great restaurants and chefs in Arizona but there are still great strides necessary to making us a true food-centric state.
- Any advice about Food and Nutrition?
- Respect your body and respect the food that you put into it! Processed food is HORRIBLE. Eat fresh, eat local and eat healthy without compromising flavor.
back to main page