By Alexandra Pettit, AZFB Communication Intern
The holiday season is always filled with family and laughter and most of all good food. I always say it’s the most delicious time of the year! The holiday season is also a time of wonderful memories I spent in the kitchen with my mother. Around the holidays she was always in the kitchen whipping up the most delightful treats. However, there is one that tops them all and that is mom’s pistachio bread. I always remember begging my mom for this vibrant green treat, that filled the entire house with its mouthwatering smell.
Mom is gone now but wonderful memories are tied to these wonderful recipes. She always made it looks so easy when making it and, in reality, it is very easy. I tried countless times the Christmas after mom died and could never make it the way that she did, I failed time after time.
However, this year I decided to give it another go. as soon as it came out of the oven, I knew that I had succeeded this time. I believe this time mom helped me get it right It is true that good food helps you remember good times. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. Happy Holidays!
(Makes 2 Loaves)
Ingredients for batter:
- 1 box of yellow cake or butter cake mix
- 1 3 oz. box of pistachio pudding
- ½ a pint of sour cream
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup oil or shortening (I use oil)
Ingredients for the crumble:
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- ½ Cup of chopped nuts, any (I use pecans)
- In a bowl mix by hand cake mix, pudding, ½ pint of sour cream, 4 eggs, ¼ cup of water, and ¼ cup of oil or shortening. Mix till combine.
- In a separate bowl mix ¾ cups of brown sugar, 1tbs cinnamon, and ½ cup of chopped nuts of your choice.
- Next, you will layer in the pan batter then crumble. Repeat on more time. End with the crumble
- Place in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Check center with a knife, if clean then remove from the oven and let cool.
- Remove from the bread pan and enjoy it!
For more recipes head over to Fill Your Plate, we have hundreds to choose from!