Editor’s Note: We’ve asked some of our Fill Your Plate “Moms” to share some of their favorite recipes, especially those that can fill up the family and do it in a healthy way!
Green Mango Banana Smoothie
By Jessica Schlievert, projectCSA.blogspot.com
This is basically a knockoff milkshake, but without any dairy and barely any sugar. And while it doesn’t look all that “green,” it’s full of avocado too! This may not sound like the tastiest treat at first, but I guarantee you’ll be a convert if you try it just once. It’s a combination of frozen banana (directions on freezing below), frozen mango, avocado, vanilla protein powder, coconut water and agave. That’s it! The healthy fats in the avocado combine with the creamy frozen banana to give this a fluffy ice cream texture.
Ingredients (Yield one 12-oz. smoothie):
- 1 frozen banana
- Half an avocado
- 1/3 c. frozen mango
- 3 T (or one scoop) vanilla protein powder (I like whey but any kind works)
- 1/2 c. coconut water (NOT coconut milk!)
- 1 t. agave nectar or honey
Directions: First, freeze your bananas (overnight is best — as long as you’re at it, freeze a bunch!) Slice bananas into individual freezer containers or zip-locks, and add 1/2 – 1 t. lemon juice (the bottled stuff is fine for this). Gently mix the lemon juice and banana slices together to evenly coat. Zip and freeze overnight.
To make the smoothie: In a blender, add all ingredients and blend at least 1 full minute or until very thick and creamy. If needed, add a few extra splashes of coconut water to get things moving. Pour into a glass and serve with a straw. Enjoy!
- Favorite Recipes from Fill Your Plate Moms: Sweet Potato-Zuchini Bread (fillyourplate.org)
- Favorite Recipes From Fill Your Plate Moms: Chili Chicken (fillyourplate.org)
- Favorite Recipes From Fill Your Plate Moms: Crock Pot Carnitas Tacos (fillyourplate.org)