By Mariely Lopez, a Nutrition Communication Undergrad at Arizona State University
What better way to start your morning than with pizza? A breakfast pizza jammed packed with nutrient dense, fresh vegetables! This recipe has been one of my favorites to prepare because it is a simple, quick, and it doesn’t take a whole lot of effort to put together, which is why I wanted to share it with all of you.
What you need:
1tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup of spinach
1 (8-inch) whole-grain tortilla
1 lg plum tomato, thinly sliced
1 lg egg
Pinch of salt and pepper
½ avocado (mashed)
What to do:
- Heat the oven to 400°F
- Place an egg in a pot and cover with cold water by 1-inch and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool down for about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and cool the hardboiled egg under cold water and peel.
- Heat 1tsp of olive oil on a nonstick pan, add spinach and cook until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Heat up the tortilla. After it is heated spread the mashed avocado evenly on the tortilla.
- Divide the spinach and tomatoes evenly among the tortilla, leaving an empty space in the center for an egg.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and enjoy
Maiely Lopez is a Nutrition Communication Undergrad at Arizona State University. She was born, here, in the Valley of the Sun and enjoys doing a variety of different things in her spare time, such as, biking, hiking, gardening and painting.
In the past she has interned as an Outreach Community Project Coordinator for Horny Toad Farm, where she contributed to their weekly newsletter, managed the farmers’ market stand and picked up her love of gardening.
Her objective, upon obtaining her bachelor’s degree, is to seek a profession that focuses on health marketing through the use of social media and other mediums of communication. She believes that it is the responsibility of nutrition professionals to help the individual better understand the importance of nutrition and how it is essential to live a long, happy and healthy life.