By Blue Sky Organic Farms
We have made it into melon season! This year our farmer has planted 4 different varieties of cantaloupe and 2 different varieties of honeydew. To be perfectly honest, I have never been a fan of either of these melons. When asked if I’d like to try the most recent harvest, I was reluctant. Well let me tell you, I am glad I conceded as I now have a newfound love of cantaloupe and honeydew! A freshly harvested, ripe cantaloupe or honeydew from this farm is my new favorite hot weather snack!
Needless to say, this week’s Farm Boxes (Classic and Farmer’s Choice) will have a cantaloupe or honeydew melon inside. As well as, our newest crop to join the CSA rotation, Armenian cucumbers will grace every box. These are fantastic with the peel on so don’t let the fuzziness of the skin deter you from diving right into this juicy cucumber variety! Chef Danielle was inspired to make a recipe starring each of these items for the CSA. We hope you enjoy this simple melon medley and add your own twist to this salad!
Cucumber and Cantaloupe (Honeydew) Salad
- ½ cantaloupe or honeydew ~ peeled, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 oz Armenian cucumber ~ sliced into ½ moons
- 8 oz pearlini mozzarella
- ¼ red onion ~ sliced
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves ~ torn
- 8 slices of prosciutto
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 turns of fresh ground pepper
- In a medium bowl combine cantaloupe, cucumber, mozzarella, onion and basil.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
- Divide salad onto 4 plates.
- Roll each piece of prosciutto and cut in half.
- Add 4 pieces of prosciutto to each plate.
- Serve with additional fresh ground pepper if desired.