By Laura Slatalla, recent ASU Nutrition Student
Have you found yourself sweating before dinner was finished? Yikes! Preparing a well-balanced meal sounds unappealing in the Arizona heat. The kitchen heats up fast and cranking up the air conditioning is expensive. Take a peek at these tips to keep your kitchen cool all summer!
- Use appliances other than the stove or oven: It’s time to bust out all those small counter top appliances and get creative! Panini griller? Crock pot? Toaster oven? These will generate less heat and can expand your recipes.
- Improve air circulation: Bring a fan into the kitchen while you work or open the windows in the evening.
- Prep in the morning: It’s cooler in the morning, and prepping allows you to spend smaller bursts of time in the kitchen. Stove top items can be cooked and cooled in the refrigerator for later.
- Get outside: BBQ’s and picnics on the weekends are excellent ways to enjoy time outside and relax. There isn’t as much cleanup in the kitchen either!
- Steam veggies in the microwave: Some vegetables steam right in the bag, or you can purchase a microwave steamer. Sides are super easy and won’t heat up your kitchen.
- Serve a cold meal: A cold vegetable tray, fruit salad, sandwiches, or fresh salads are quick, nutritious, and cool! Taking a break from cooking is a relief, and there are plenty of meals that just require a little slicing and prep.
Don’t let the summer heat stifle your creativity or health goals! Good luck keeping your kitchen cool the rest of this summer!