By Tim Nordberg, Recent ASU Nutrition Student
Everyone loves Mac n’ Cheese, it’s a comfort food and always a delicious, filling meal. I have found that I’ve gotten bored of the typical Mac n’ Cheese so I’ve been experimenting with a few different recipes. This is one I’ve really enjoyed.
I’m a big pepper jack cheese fan, I love the hint of spiciness it has. I’ve found that by making Mac and Cheese from scratch it’s not only a lot more fun because I generally only cook for myself I have a ton of leftovers and get to enjoy it for even a few days after.
Loaded Mac and Cheese
8 slices bacon
½ pepper jack cheese 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
3⁄4 cup of uncooked elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
3⁄4 cup milk
1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
-Preheat the oven to 350
-Fry the bacon until crisp and then crumble it
– Cook the macaroni
– In the same pan as you cooked the pasta, melt the butter and add flour.
– Cook for about 3 minutes, until the flour taste is cooked away.
– Add milk a little at a time, stir until the flour is well blended.
– Remove from heat and add 3/4 cup of cheese, stirring until melted (at this point, you may add a bit more milk if it’s too thick).
– Add pasta, crumbled bacon, and salt and pepper to taste.
– Pour into a greased a 1 1/2 quart baking dish, sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
– Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or longer if you like a golden cheesy top.