The U.S. Farmers & Ranchers Alliance is on a nationwide search for the new “Faces of Farming & Ranching.” These stand-out farmers and ranchers will put a real face on American agriculture and help educate the general population about the importance of American agriculture. Those selected will participate in special events, be featured in media coverage and advertising, and play a role in other marketing and promotional activities.
The USFRA is looking for farmers and ranchers who are:
- proud of what they do
- eager to share their experiences in agriculture
- interested in sharing stories of continuous improvements
- active on social media
If this sounds like you, make sure you apply once the contest opens on July 10. Entries can be submitted until August 10. It doesn’t matter what you grow. It doesn’t matter what you raise. You don’t have to be a small family operation or a large commercial entity. The contest is open to farmers and ranchers of all types who use a variety of methods and operate farms and ranches of all sizes. Individuals, couples, and families can apply to be one of the new “faces” this year and farmers and ranchers from all areas of the country are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit here and complete the application process. This includes:
- Completing the application which includes:
- Providing information about your farm or ranch like its history and what you grow/raise today
- Explaining what kind of improvements you have made to your operation
- How you currently work to tell your story to the general public
- What you would like to accomplish if you are chosen as a Face of Farming and Ranching
- How active you are on social media
- Explaining your experience with public speaking and any media experience
- Two professional references
- Completing the entry form
- Submitting a 3 minute video showcasing your operation and the role you play in that operation
The deadline to apply is August 10, 2014 at midnight Central time.
Finalists will be selected from all entries by the USFRA and announced in early September. The criteria for selecting finalists may include:
- Camera presence
- Social media prowess
- Farm product factors (to ensure balance among finalists and potential winners).
Voting by the general public will be conducted at the end of October and the beginning of November.
Each person selected to be one of the “Faces of Farming & Ranching” will receive a $15,000 stipend and the opportunity to share the stories of real farmers and ranchers with a national audience.
For more information about the contest, visit the content information page.
- The National Search for the ‘Faces of Farming and Ranching’ Is On! (fillyourplate.org)
- Farmers Markets Create Win-Win-Win (fillyourplate.org)
- 10 Tips for a Fabulous Farmers Market Experience (fillyourplate.org)