By Blue Sky Organic Farms
We all know what pickled veggies are, and that you can basically pickle anything. Yet, have you? Did you know it is actually quite easy and that a quick pickle, also known as a refrigerator pickle, only needs to sit overnight? So simple! Much like the humor in the pickle joke above…
Enough with the “opening act” and on with the show, as Chef Danielle brings quick-pickled vegetables into a focus. Go forth and pickle!
Quick Pickled Veggies
Makes 3 – 16 oz. jars
- 1 ½ c water
- 1 ½ c seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 bunch of radishes
- 10 oz carrots ~ peeled
- 10 oz Armenian cucumber
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/8 tsp mustard seed
- 15 black peppercorns
- Few sprigs of parsley or cilantro
- In a medium pot combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Julienne cut the radishes, carrots and cucumber. Keep the veggies separate so you can layer them in your jars.
- In the bottom of each jar add 1/8 tsp of mustard seed, 5 black peppercorns, 1 clove of garlic; sliced and a sprig of parsley or cilantro.
- Divide veggies between the 3 jars.
- Ladle the brine of the veggies so they are completely covered.*
- Screw on the lids and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.
- *if you are short of brine just top off with a bit of water.