Arizona must be the reason ice cream was invented. When the temperature soars into the triple digits for days on end, even we can start to wilt from the heat. There is one sure fire cure for this ailment, Arizona ice cream. No matter how hot or humid it is, a refreshing bowl of this sweet treat will cool you down. If your children have turned into grumpy Gus or your wife seems to be withering in the blazing sun, stop by your local ice cream parlor and get the whole family back on track. And while you are there, thank your favorite ice cream shop if they have followed the trend of many other ice cream parlors and purveyors across the country and have not raised their prices.
Even though we all notice the price of things like milk and sugar have gone up this year when we are at the grocery store, we don’t always realize that those costs don’t just impact us. If we are paying more for milk and sugar, so are the companies that use those products. Normally, as the cost of goods increase so does the price of everything made with those goods, but a recent article from the Associated Press, (Ice cream makers try to eat high ingredient costs), shows that ice cream makers are choosing the high road. Even as their costs increase, many have tried not to pass those increases onto their customers, choosing instead to keep their product at prices families can afford.
There’s no better way to beat the heat than with an ice cold bowl of your favorite flavor. Try these great Arizona-made ice cream shops recommended by friends of the Arizona Farm Bureau.
- Angel Sweet – specializing in gelato – Chandler
- Apple Annie’s Orchard – homemade ice cream featuring seasonal fruit – Wilcox
- Coldstone Creamery – super-premium ice cream and sorbet, made fresh in every store, every day – Tucson, Phoenix, Yuma, Chandler, Gilbert, Casa Grande, Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale, Sierra Vista
- Crave – gourmet, handcrafted ice cream – Phoenix
- The Hub – ice creamery –Tucson
- Paletas Betty – handmade Mexican ice and cream pops – Chandler and Tempe
- Shamrock Farms – organic dairy offering a variety of frozen treats – Phoenix
- Sweet Republic – high-end homemade ice cream – Scottsdale, Chandler, Phoenix, Tempe
- Udder Delights – Fresh-made ice cream from Superstition Farm Dairy – Gilbert
- Celebrating Ice Cream Month: Listen to our Podcast! (fillyourplate.org)
- 7 Little Known Facts About Ice Cream (fillyourplate.org)