By Sarah Hunt, AZFB Communications Intern
Try making this apple, date, and walnut salad for dinner tonight! It pairs nicely with some shredded grilled chicken on top to give it some extra protein and turn it from a side dish into a meal.
Apple, Date, & Walnut Salad
By Natural Delights
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6-8 cups arugula
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 Fuji apple, sliced
- 4 Medjool Dates, diced (Find “1 lb Medjool Dates” in a store)
- Seeds from 1 Pomegranate
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 8 oz. gorgonzola cheese
- In a mixing bowl, make your salad dressing by adding together your lemon, garlic, honey, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper. Whisk while adding in your olive oil.
- In another bowl, add your arugula and red onion. Add your dressing on top and toss well.
- Slice your Fuji apple and dates and set to the side.
- Add your salad to a plate or bowl and top with your Fuji apples.
- Add your diced dates, walnuts and pomegranate seeds.
- Top with Gorgonzola cheese and enjoy!
*While Medjool dates are high in natural sugars, they are low on the glycemic index thanks to a balanced amount of soluble fiber. The complex carbohydrates found in Medjool dates are digested at a slower rate, making them a source of dietary fiber and releasing energy to the body over a longer period of time.
Find more Natural Delights recipes on Fill Your Plate’s recipe database!