By Noor Nouaillati, Recent ASU Nutrition Student
Eating out is always fun, especially if you’re going out with a group of friends or on a date. However, this becomes a difficult decision for someone who is trying to watch their calories and stay in shape. If you’re curious how you can dine out, focus on calories, and have a good time check out these awesome tips from Eat Right that will help you.
- Have a plan. If you know that you are going out for dinner try to have a light breakfast and lunch. Have little snacks throughout the day so you won’t eat heavy.
- Know the restaurant’s menu ahead of time and read through it along with the nutritional information. Decide on the meal you want ahead of time.
- When you order your meal make sure you are getting all the nutrients that you need. For example, if you want to order the salmon platter make sure it comes with fresh vegetables with a side of whole grains. This will help you balance out your meal. If you get a grilled chicken salad ask for the dressing on the side and then you are in control of how much dressing you want to add. If one of your sides is a baked potato substitute it for a side salad or grilled/steamed vegetables.
- When it comes to beverages, get a glass of water with a slice of lemon.
- When it comes to dessert, split with someone or pick something light.
A personal diet tip of my own is, to always split your meal in half. Eat one half while you’re out and take the other half in a to-go box to eat later. This strategy makes you feel lighter and more satisfied with your meal.
I hope you find these tips useful the next time you’re out. An important thing to remember is, just because you’re watching what you eat doesn’t mean you can’t go out and enjoy a meal at your favorite restaurant.