By Jessica Brick, Current U of A Dietetic Intern
Holiday time is here, which means its time to get ready for family gatherings! Nothing gets the family more excited than getting together and sharing a meal together. So why not spice things up this year by ditching the old sweet potato casserole – try something nutritious and new this holiday season. This recipe is quick and simple – the ingredients can be mixed the day before festivities so all you have to do the day of is mix in the oil and pop the dish into the oven. It will be the dish your family cannot stop talking about and the recipe everyone will want! Hope you and your family enjoy and have a happy holiday sharing good food and company.
Sweet Potato Casserole
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (~2 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ cups halved Brussels sprouts
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium apple, cored and diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary/sage
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cup dried cherries/cranberries
- ½ cup avocado oil – can use olive oil as a substituted if desired
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with oil of choice
- Transfer ingredients to a baking dish and cover with foil
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil, toss then bake, uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes longer or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
-Jessica Brick – UA ISSP Dietetic Intern
For more fun recipes the whole family will love, check out the Fill Your Plate recipe section.