By Lauren Scott, Arizona Farm Bureau Intern
It’s lettuce season here in Arizona and the state’s farmers want you to eat your fair share! Did you know that Arizona ranks second in head lettuce, leaf lettuce, and romaine lettuce production? Plus, Yuma, Arizona becomes the Lettuce Bowl Capitol of the nations during the winter months.
In fact, about 90% of leafy greens are provided by Yuma, while the rest of the country is too cold to produce our wonderful vegetables that should compromise 50% of our daily dietary plate. To celebrate this amazing agricultural product, I’ve made a list of my top 20 favorite recipes that use lettuce!
- Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Lettuce Soup
- Grilled Hearts of Romaine
- Green Salad
- Tilapia Pitas
- Stir Fried Lettuce
- Crunchy Apple Salad
- Lettuce Cups with Tofu and Beef
- Goat Cheese Lettuce Wraps
- Wedge Salad on a Stick
- Pea, Lettuce, and Fennel Soup
- Join the Party Salad
- Grilled Romaine with Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Butter Lettuce Salad with Gorgonzola and Pear Dressing
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Lettuce Wedges with Blue Cheese Dressing
- Miss Betty’s 24 Hour Lettuce Salad
- Wilted Lettuce
- Chopped Medjool Date Salad
Every year the average American eats 30 pounds of lettuce. This winter, be above average and make lettuce a part of your weekly meals. If you can’t get enough of lettuce, fillyourplate.org has even more recipes featuring lettuce to cure your crunchy craving!
If you liked this post: