- Asparagus with Zesty Orange Sauce
- 2 lbs asparagas spears or 1 1/2 lbs broccoli
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed organge juice
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise dressing
- 1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- dash of pepper
- thin strips of orange peel
- Wash asparagus spears; scrape off scales if desired. Break off woody bases and discard. Or, wash and remove outer leaves of broccoli and tough parts of stalks; cut lengthwise into spears. Place asparagus or broccoli in a steamer basket over simmering water. Cover and steam for 7 to 9 minutes for asparagus or 8 to 12 minutes for broccoli or until vegetables are crisp and tender. Carefully remove steamer basket and reserve 2 tablespoons of the steaming liquid. For Sauce: In a small saucepan, whisk together the orange juice, mayonnaise dressing, mustard, and pepper until smooth. Stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of the reserved liquid to make sauce the desired consistency. Cook and stir over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Do not boil. To Serve: Arrange asparagus or broccoli on a serving platter; spoon sauce over spears. Garnish with strips of orange peel. This sauce can be served with green beans or potatoes. Makes 8 servings.
- Provided by:
- Southwest Family Citrus and Spenar Family
Where You Can Buy Ingredients:
Sheep Springs Sheep Co dba Dobson Family Farm Inc.
Marc PedersenChandler, AZ, 85248