Although Cinco de Mayo festivities occur in many parts of the U.S. and are treated as celebrations of Mexican heritage and culture, Cinco de Mayo isn’t as is commonly believed, Mexican Independence Day. Here in Arizona, people everywhere are ramping up for a celebration that is too big to be contained in a single day. There are lots of things to do around the state and lots of great food and drinks to sample. Here are some of the Cinco de Mayo celebrations happening around the state.
- Blues, Bruise, and BBQs Cinco de Mayo Celebration at the Arizona Soccer Complex in Phoenix – This all day event begins at 10 AM and features a 5K, a martial arts competition, live music, and fabulous food and drink.
- Cinco de Mayo and Chihuahua Races in Chandler – This annual celebration features the Chihuahua race, pageant, and the crowning of the King and Queen of Chihuahua.
- Dirty 6 Mud Run in Chandler – With 2 distances, tons of obstacles, and a free mini-run tailor made for kids, this is an active Cinco de Mayo activity for the whole family.
- Cinco de Mayo Chili Pepper Painting Party at The Art of Merlot in Scottsdale – This unique event starts at 2PM, come celebrate Cinco de Mayo with chips, salsa, and paint.
- Salty Seniorita’s Cinco de Mayo Celebrations in Old Town, Peoria, and Mesa – All three locations will host celebrations featuring great food, cold drinks, and live music.
- El Mexcellente Cinco de Mayo Block Party in Tempe – Near the ASU Tempe campus and hosted by Canteen Tequila Bar and Fat Tuesday, this block party kicks off with live music beginning at 11 AM.
- Cinco de Mayo Cultural Festival in Phoenix – This two day event boasted 150,000 attendees in previous years and is a great way to spend the weekend and celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
Don’t feel like going out? Host your own Cinco de Mayo Celebration at home. Make sure you have a ton of Margarita mix and check out these great recipes from Fill Your Plate that feature great Mexican and Southwestern flavors.
- Avocado Appetizer – Featuring spicy chilies and Arizona avocados, this appetizer is sure to get everyone in the mood for to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
- Corn and Black Bean Salsa – This tasty salsa mixes fresh roma tomatoes, red onion, avocados, corn, and cilantro to create the perfect dip for any kind of tortilla chip.
- Gilda’s Smothered Burritos – These delicious burritos are filled with beans, beef, and topped with a spicy sauce.
- Tamale Pie – Filled with fantastic Southwest ingredients like Arizona beef, green chilies, corn, and beans, this pie will be a star at any party.
- Sonoran Hamburgers and Sonoran Hot Dogs – The perfect blend of American favorites and Mexican flavors.
- Tostados – Steak, cheese, and sour cream atop tasty fried tortillas make the perfect meal for Cinco de Mayo.
- Top Mexican Restaurants to Celebrate Cinco de Mayo (fillyourplate.org)
- Wine Country May Be Closer Than You Think (fillyourplate.org)
- 8 Great Ways to Celebrate Tortilla Chip Day (fillyourplate.org)