June is National Dairy Month and organizations including the International Dairy Foods Association, the National Dairy Council, and the Dairy Council of Arizona are working hard to promote dairy’s place in a healthy lifestyle.
Dairy products of all kinds play an important role in a healthy diet. Filled with calcium, potassium, and protein, dairy products such as milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, and even ice cream can help with managing weight, building and maintaining strong bones, and lowering the risk of certain cancers. Dairy products provide 9 essential nutrients and help maintain healthy skin and strong muscles.
Locally, the Dairy Council of Arizona has great activities and events planned across the state for this year’s “30 Days of Dairy.” By partnering with some of the best chefs, businesses, and dairy farmers across Arizona, the Dairy Council will be working to both raise awareness and provide retail discounts for consumers. Events include a search for Arizona’s Next Top Dairy Chef, Moooving Milkshake Shops that will pop up at different locations throughout the state, and specials at grocers throughout the month.
If you have a favorite dairy recipe, you can share it on the Dairy Council’s site for a chance to be named Arizona’s Next Top Dairy Chef. Also, share it with us here, too! We’d love to try your family’s favorite dairy recipe, too!
Wondering where the next Moooving Milkshake Shop will pop-up? Check the listing on the Dairy Council site to find a location near you. Don’t miss these special milkshakes created for the event by some of Arizona’s best celebrity chefs.
You can also celebrate National Dairy Month by working hard to get in your three-a-day dairy recommendation with some of these great recipes from Fill Your Plate.
- Arizona Quiche – Made with green chilies and green onions, this dish makes a great breakfast, brunch, or dinner.
- Avocado Appetizer – Everyone will love this appetizer made with jack cheese, green chilies, avocados, and bacon.
- Cha Cha’s Chili Corn Bread – Tasty bread made with cottage cheese and a whole block of colby jack that goes great with any meal featuring southwest flavors.
- Cheri’s Classic Prickly Pear Cheesecake – The creamy deliciousness of this cake comes from the fresh and flavorful cream cheese and sour cream.
- Garlic Cheese Fingers – This cheese-filled finger food makes a great appetizer or a tasty snack.
- Avocado and Pistachio Ice Cream – Delicious cold treat made with milk and heavy cream that will help beat the Arizona heat.
- Blackberry Cobbler – Delicious dessert made with fresh milk.
- Boss’s Baked French Toast – Pair this delicious breakfast made with fresh milk with fresh berries for a meal that will make any day better.
- Arroz Con Chilie Verde – The creamy texture of Monterey Jack Cheese and tart sour cream are the perfect complement to the green chilies and rice that form the base of this tasty treat.
- Deanna’s Sour Cream Banana Cake – Featuring both bananas and sour cream, this cake is a fantastic way to finish off any dinner.
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole – Filled with creamy cheddar and fabulous sour cream, this dish makes a great side to almost any meal.
- Celebrate Dairy Month With Gourmet Milkshakes Created By Local Chefs (fillyourplate.org)
- 6 Ways to Celebrate National Hamburger Month (fillyourplate.org)
- Producing Milk is More Than Just Milking Cows (fillyourplate.org)