Even though school is out and many afternoon and evening activities are on hold, summer is still one of the busiest times of the year. This means that even the less stressful summer months can still make it hard to get dinner on the table in a timely fashion. Besides, the last thing any of us wants to do is spend an hour in the kitchen when the weather is beautiful and the heat of the day has passed.
Unfortunately, the factors can work together and convince us to stop and grab “something quick” on the way home, rather than making a home cooked meal. This can be bad news for both the family’s budget and its waistline. But cooking at home can be quick and easy if you do a little upfront planning and use some of these great recipes that are quick, easy, and superbly suited for summertime.
Fresh and Fruity Salads
These salads are a snap to prepare and are packed with healthy, nutritious fruits, veggies, and leafy greens. Because they are served cool and most require no cooking, they are a welcome way to end even the hottest Arizona summer day. Best of all, most can be made ahead of time, which makes it even easier to fill your plate with homemade meals.
- Apple and Pear Salad
- Armenian Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Artichoke Chicken Salad
- Avocado and Tomato Salad
- BBQ Pork Salad with Summer Fruits and Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Big Party Chicken Salad with Medjool Dates
- Chopped Medjool Date Salad
- Chutney Melon Chicken Salad
- Fettuccine and Ham Salad
- Golden Beet and Pomegranate Salad
- Golden Beet Fennel and Avocado Salad
- Join the Party Salad
- The Farmer’s Favorite Salad
- Wheat Farmer’s Salad
Filling and Fabulous Sandwiches
Although we traditionally think of sandwiches as something we eat at lunch, they can make delicious, quick, and easy options for summer dinners as well.
- Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Grandma Gertie’s BLT
- Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
- Goat Cheese Lettuce Wraps
- Turkey Avocado Club
- French Dip Sandwiches
- Italian Steak Sandwiches
- Rib-eye Steak Panini Sandwiches
Great Ways to Use the Grill
Another quick and easy way to have a homemade meal this summer is to cook outside on the grill. You can enjoy the weather, get out of the kitchen, and make a super quick meal that will have everyone rushing to the table.
- Rasher or Buckboard Bacon Burger
- Marinated Beef Tips
- Sonoran Hot Dogs
- Sonoran Hamburgers
- Grilled Chicken Breasts (goes great on salad or in a sandwich too!)
- Molasses Marinated Beef Tenderloin
- Pork Kabobs
- Sweet Glazed Butter-flied Grilled Chicken