Each month, Fill Your Plate shines the spotlight on a local celebrity chef. Sometimes they are chefs that are local or national celebrities, and sometimes they are local or national celebrities that are foodies, chefs, or just love local Arizona grown food as much as we do. One of the great questions we ask each celebrity is what food they can’t live without. Here are some of the most interesting answers.
Dave Zino, the Executive Chef and culinary spokesperson for the Arizona Beef Council and the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, lists pantry staples like garlic, onions, cracked black pepper, and kosher salt as the ingredients he could not do without when cooking.
Here are some great recipes featuring Arizona beef and Dave’s “can’t do without” ingredients.
- Garlic –Sharla’s Arizona Beef & Veggies Stir Fry
- Onions – Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Cracked Black Pepper – Marinated Beef Tips
- Kosher Salt – Rosemary Sage Steak
Gwen Ashley Walters, who writes for Phoenix Magazine and Edible Phoenix, is a professionally trained chef and full-time food journalist. She cannot do without salt and uses several different types in her cooking including kosher salt, Fleur de Sel, Murray River Pink Salt. Her kitchen is also always stocked with staples like garlic, shallots, fresh herbs, and Queen Creek olive oil.
Here are some great recipes featuring Arizona ingredients and Gwen’s must have staples.
- Shallots – Calabacitas
- Garlic – Garlic Roasted Summer Squash
- Fresh Herbs – Ratatouille
- Olive Oil – Julie’s Oven Roasted Red Potatoes and Asparagus
- Salt – Citrus Marinated Grilled Turkey
Carey Peña, current anchor of the 3TV nightly news, is an Emmy Award winning journalist and Arizona State University Alum. Carey lists lemon, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and cayenne pepper on her must have list of healthy cooking ingredients.
Here are some great recipes featuring Arizona produce and Carey’s must have ingredients.
- Lemon – Lemon Spinach
- Garlic – Sweet Potato Zucchini Frittata
- Olive Oil – Grilled Romaine with Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Cayenne Pepper – Comforting Corn Chowder
It’s no surprise that Tad Peelen, co-owner of Joe’s Real BBQ and Joe’s Farm Grill, can’t live without BBQ Sauce. Without a doubt, BBQ Sauce is his favorite ingredient!
Here are some great recipes featuring Arizona pork and Tad’s must have ingredient.
Mary Jo McDonald, host of the MaMa Jo’s Monday Meals in Minutes segment on KEZ, lists extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme as the ingredients she can’t do without in the kitchen.
Here are some great recipes featuring Arizona ingredients and Mary Jo’s “can’t live without” list.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Avocado and Tomato Salad
- Fresh Garlic – Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Parsley – Carrot Ginger Soup
- Sage & Rosemary – Rosemary Sage Steak
- Thyme – Savory Goat Meat Stew with Dumplings
- Arizona Food Prices Up 1% from Last Quarter, Contrary to the National Path (fillyourplate.org)
- Let’s Talk Tomatoes (fillyourplate.org)
- 5 Simple New Year Resolutions for a Healthier Diet (fillyourplate.org)