If you are looking for a fun, family-friendly activity this autumn, apple picking can be just the thing to get everyone outside enjoying the fall sunshine. Despite the desert climate of much of the state, there are parts of Arizona that are perfect for growing apples. We are fortunate to have a long harvest which started back in August and runs through the end of this month. Many of the commercial orchards are located in the southeastern part of the state but odds are good that you can find a place to pick your own close enough to home to make it worth the drive.
Not interested in picking them yourselves? Take a trip to the local farmer’s market and you are sure to find a wide range of just ripened apples to pick from. Ask your local grocery store if they have any locally grown apples in stock and if they don’t, request them. Many big grocery stores are making the move to source more produce locally because of customer demand. When you buy local, everyone wins.
You may not think apple picking is your thing because you aren’t sure what you will do with all those apples. Never fear! Your friends here at Fill Your Plate have a bunch of recipes ready to help you find delicious ways to use apples in every meal.
- Apple Bacon Slaw
- Apple Cider Syrup
- Apple Compote
- Apple Crisp
- Apple Mesquite Crunch
- Apple Pear Salad
- Apple Raspberry Pie
- Apple and Cream Crumb
- Baked Apples
- Baked Pork Chops and Apples
- Crockpot Apple Butter
- Crunchy Apple Salad
- German Apple Pancakes
- Pumpkin Apple Bread
- Red Hot Stuffed Apples
- Sautéed Apples
- Stuffed Pumpkin
- Waldorf Salad
Looking for a pick your own option or a farm stand near you that offers apples? Here are some farm bureau members that offer apples in a variety of ways.
- Apple Annie’s Produce & Pumpkins in Wilcox
- Beatty’s Guest Ranch and Orchard in Hereford
- Briggs and Eggers Orchard in Willcox
- Brown’s Orchard in Willcox
- Date Creek Ranch in Wickenburg
- Pinnacle Farms from Phoenix
- RSI Growers in Glendale
- Tonopah Rob’s Vegetable Farm in Tonopah
- Truman Ranch in Surprise
Can’t find a farm close enough? Check this listing of farmer’s markets from Fill Your Plate for a farmer’s market in your area.
- How Eating a Garlic a Day Might Keep the Doctor Away (fillyourplate.org)
- Blackberries: A Sweet and Savory SuperFood (fillyourplate.org)
- 3 Tips to Help Start Your Day the Healthy Way (fillyourplate.org)